[Dailydrool] hound names...

Wilder, Sharon via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri Mar 27 06:18:11 PDT 2015

When I got my first hound I knew before I met her that I wanted to name her Xandy. No idea why. When we went to see the puppies the breeders brought them all into the kitchen in a laundry basket, I fell in love with the runt they called Molly. The puppies parents were Mabel Louise Fangman and Jerry Lee Lamont. Once I discovered this I knew I couldn't just name her Xandy and it was my sister who came up with Alexandria to which I added Mae as a nod to her mother so that's how she became Alexandria Mae Lange. When I got my second hound I named her Xandy Too in honor of her predecessor. When she left us we went to look at puppies and chose the one the breeders called Notch because of the white mark on her back. I really wanted to name her Xandy Mae As Well but Glenn put his foot down and said absolutely not. He had always called Xandy Too his baby bear so the puppy was named Xandy Bear. Who knew that this adorable little creature would eventually become both a Grand Marshall and a Queen ? I agreed to foster a 10 month old hound when XB was 10 months old. Her name was Lyca and she was only to stay a few days. Glenn was totally against fostering her and before she even got there was asking when she was leaving. Ironically it was Glenn who woke me up in the middle of the night the day I brought Lyca home and said, "you know if we keep her we could call her Huggie Bear". I saw a picture of Bud, who had already been renamed Moose and fell in love. He was a big 6 year old boy and so handsome. Since we already had 2 Bears we named him Moosie Bear and a dynasty was born. A year later we "fostered" a wee little pup named Aries for about 2 hours. Glenn commented about what a goofy name Aries was for this cute little girl. He asked me what I thought her name should be and without missing a beat I said, "Gracie Allen" who has since morphed into Not So Wee Gracie Allen. Glenn agreed as long as George Burns didn't arrive home from the next event. The following year we fostered 2 puppies and honestly I can't remember the names they came with but we renamed them Bonnie & Clyde. They were both adopted to a very nice woman and Bonnie thrived with her new lab sister Savannah but Clyde didn't and so my baby duck came back to me. As I watched him lope around the yard one day, tongue lolling I realized he was no smooth Clyde Barrow. It turns out he was Clyde Kadiddlehopper, Clem's younger, dopier brother.