[Dailydrool] FW: nasty neighbors and unexpected aggression in multiple dog families

Sue And David Autry via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sun May 31 15:42:08 PDT 2015

  _____

From: Sue And David Autry [mailto:sautry at cfl.rr.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 26, 2015 5:29 PM
To: dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.com
Subject: nasty neighbors and unexpected aggression in multiple dog families

Hi everyone,

We are all on short tempers as we get ready to recheck DH for bladder tumors
next week.  Cross paws and pray for Dave!

I certainly understand NASTY neighbors who harassed us for 3 + years.  Many
times we called the Sheriff deputy.  They also would hide and tease MY DOGS!

They threw eggs on our new roof, scattered dog food all along the street so
I could hardly walk my dogs, plastered the mail box with mayonnaise.  Yelled
at me if I walked by their house.   We even installed security cameras, a
HUGE expense, but NEVER were able to catch them!!  It was VERY stressful.
Finally, my husband threatened to beat the guy up if he ever said or did one
more thing. He met him in the street in front of our house as he was walking
his dogs past our house. That ended it!!  They always did things when my
husband was at work.  After he confronted him, it was OVER!  Last week, THEY
FINALLY MOVED!!  A HUGE answer to prayer!!

My three, Tilly, Phoebe and Harvey usually get along fine.  Tilly was alone
for 6 months after our other basset died, (Caseymae) as we got the other two
dogs, Tilly was snarly to both at first.  And I had to be very careful when
they were together for the first several months, never leaving them alone
without being in crates.  She has remained the Alpha through the years.  At
times, she still has her moments, if she is stepped on or wakened, she will
snarl at either.  Harvey likes to play rough with her the best, they are
both short legged,  sometimes she gets tired and goes after him when she has
had enough.  Then Harvey will seemingly go after Phoebe, for no reason at
all!  Or, once in a while, we will have a fight at a doorway, either coming
or going from the fenced dog area!  Harvey is testing the boundaries and is
always last to come in.  Sometimes Harvey will go after Phoebe, our most
docile and submissive, during treat time, trying to get her treat out of her
mouth.  Usually  Harvey will not do that if Tilly is sitting next to him.
Phoebe is the lowest in the chain of command, hiding behind the couch at
times to get away from Harvey.  Out in the fenced area, Harvey and Phoebe
will do the basset 500 many times without Tilly, now 8 yrs and back legs
wobbly at times.

I never can be sure when a snarl will happen unexpectedly!  Grandkids upset
them,  workers in the house,  stress in the family with all of Dave's
illnesses and being left alone long hours with dog sitters coming in.
Anyway, they have been a HUGE Blessing during Dave's illnesses because their
schedules remain the same, when so much else has changed.  Walking each one
separately brings me so much stress relief!  And it was so nice to come home
to them after long hours at the hospital.

Sue to the Triplets