[Dailydrool] Rescue volunteers are Angels of this world

Jaime Brigance via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Mon Nov 2 10:47:47 PST 2015

I’ve read a few posts regarding rescue and I wanted to say my peace.  I’ll give you my bottom line opinion right here: people who do rescue work are the angels of this world.
Since I don’t (and can’t) do that work, I try hard to never complain because its just not my place.  In my heart, I owe many people who do rescue work a great debt.  They have brought to me 4 precious hounds that I have loved and who gave me and my kids love beyond words.
I have had some “issues” with rescue.  My experience has spanned 14 years and 4 states.  In one state I tried to get ahold of rescue (they had maybe 12 dogs available) and no one ever returned my calls/emails.  I ended up getting my mother a dachshund puppy that turned out to be the love of my mother’s life.  In a way I don’t think another adult dog could have.  The life my mother had led, she had never even held a puppy, let alone had one.  So the end result was a good one.
In another state, my friend Roger’s wife wanted to have a basset.  After trying for weeks to get ahold of a rescue group, they finally got a home visit.  They were told that because of the wife’s cancer return that it was not a good time to get a dog.  Ironically, that was the reason that they wanted a dog: the wife was now at home (with help) and they had money.  My friend was very annoyed and went out and bought a puppy two days later.  Again, the end result was wonderful.
In that same state, I had tried to get another basset.  My friend Roger (as described in above paragraph) was telling me that he would buy my daughter a puppy.  I told him no, that I never wanted another puppy in my life.  They are terrorists!  I had had a dalmation puppy at one point and could not control his energy and had to find him another home.  I always felt that I had failed that dog.
So, rescue group told me that my apt. complex was not the correct environment for a basset.  I did not understand why, but that opinion was the law.  I told my friend Roger and listened to him complain.  I went to the pound and looked for the right dog, but no luck.  Then he called me and said “I paid for you to get a basset puppy, go pick one out.  I feel your daughter needs a puppy.”  I gave in, and our life with Geoffrey the Biscuit started and it has been a very happy life.  So again, happy end result.
So I can personally say that rescue’s “opinions and/or judgements” has caused 3 puppies to be bought.  So what?  The end result was a good fit for everyone involved.
The people who do rescue are very dedicated/loving/giving special people.  Very much so.  They don’t get reimbursed for gas, they pick up and run on the drop of a hat, they give up their own lives to an extent, just so those precious hounds have a chance.  Mostly that is their ONLY chance after being relinquished.  So they are picky about where the hounds go.  They take it personally and I don’t blame them.
They have seen the worst situations with relinquishing that one could imagine and they just love the daylights out of the hounds.  That is where my bottom line is: their devotion has equalled my personal happiness.  That is more than enough for me.
I salute those doing rescue work.  I know you are doing the best that you can with what little staff and money you have.

Jaime & Biscuit Pueblo, Colorado brigancehappy at yahoo.com
 "Life is wondrous like jumping onto a moving train.  Someday you
have to get off, but enjoy the ride." - Robin Williams  July 21, 1951 - August 11, 2014