[Dailydrool] Are there enough words?

Jessica Rutan via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Thu Nov 19 10:09:25 PST 2015

I have sat here several times at my computer to write and express
myself about my beloved Harley, only to crumble into a long crying
session. I have not been able to tug the words out of myself to write
because they have been drowned out by the terrible sea of grief I feel
at what happened. I know that with Thanksgiving around the corner I
need to say thank you and express my deep gratitude for a dog that
saved my life and helped me more than I can ever express here in this
email.

Harley came to our family three days after the death of my heart-dog,
Halsey. I was worried at first, that I would not be able to allow
Harley into my heart, but my children so wanted this puppy. I later
realized that Halsey had to have had a paw in this matter, because HE
knew that I was suffering deeply at his death. So with the help of an
ANGEL on this list, Dan brought Harley into this family. I can never
say thank you enough to Dan or to the woman (Kay) who entrusted Harley
to us for the whirlwind of love and incredible joy that will always be
apart of my life and my childrens' lives.

I know that I can not talk about having to put Harley down much. I am
sitting here crying yet again, but I do know that I have to show deep
appreciation for seven wonderful years. I have been a mom to six
Bassets, in which I can clearly and distinctively explain the
attributes of each. I can clearly tell each of you how Queen Aubrey,
Kooter-2-D-2, Admiral Halsey, Maggie May, and Harley made my life and
those in my family richer and deeper because of who and what they
were. I am forever grateful for the love of my dogs when no one else
cared about me. When my first family died, and I had to bury my
children and divorce my husband, my dogs loved me through it all. When
I was attacked and my neck broken, my dogs loved me through it. When I
could no longer work and had to leave teaching, my dogs loved me
through it. When my daughter was murdered, my dogs loved me through
it. When people were hurtful and mean (some on this list), my dogs
loved me through it. Thank GOD for our dogs.

Each of us on this list know this pain. We lost something that can
never really be replaced, but would you really want it replaced? NO. I
can only hope that I will find another dog who can come into my world
and teach me yet another facet of love. What I realize is that I can
love despite the most horrible inflictions I have had to endure from
this world. I can survive and I can press forward because I can. My
dog taught me about that. My dog taught me about how important it is
to have a safe and warm place to come back to at night. I have worked
very hard to make that place for my own children now. I know because
my dogs gave that to me. I know how to be a better mom (to the two
legged), a better wife, and better friend. What lessons have you
learned from you dog?  I am grateful for Harley and all he taught me.
I now despite my grief that runs through my body and soul, am
GRATEFUL. (I am grateful to people as well. I am just not talking
about them at this time. Another time and another story.)

I will work as best as I can to be the better person. I want to pay
tribute to Harley and to each of my dogs for all the lessons I have
been taught. Thank you to each of you and when I walk over that hill
towards the Rainbow bridge, I will be greeted by the most amazing dogs
that ever lived. I am more than blessed to have had Harley in my life.
I miss you and these tears will not easily go away.

Rather than telling me how sorry you are for this loss, would you
please send to the DD the answer to my question? What lessons have you
learned from you dog? (Make that the subject line! How amazing that
will feel to open the DD and scroll down to read those posts) I want
to read from everyone on this list what you are grateful for in what
you learned from you dog(s).

The screen is too blurry to see any more. I could write so much more
about many topics and my dogs, but for now I need to quietly and
softly whisper: I love you Wiggle more than all the tears I am crying
and have cried. I miss you more than I could have ever thought from
that day the children and me met you. Run and eat as many carrots as
you can until we meet on this side of the Rainbow bridge and cross it
together.

MY LOVE,

Jessica Rutan
jrutan at aubreydog.com