[Dailydrool] Someone Help...

via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sun Nov 29 15:00:01 PST 2015

Carol, we had and still have this problem with Harley--he is very possessive and runs off with things:/ Quite honestly, we were remiss in training our houndies properly all those years ago, BUT I learned early on that whenever Harley steals anything (shoes, tea towels, socks, underwear, etc.--less often now that he's much older), it's just easier to bribe him with a treat for the whatever he has in his mouth, and it works well. He immediately stops and goes for the baby carrot, I grab whatever and everyone is happy. Yes, I realize it's not the right way 'round, and not the way to "break" them of the badness, but it does the job--at least for us. I submit that most Bassets are food/treat driven so often it is simply easier to swap for the stolen item. It's worth trying with Otis, at least:)

Mary, Harley, Biggs and Peter the kitty, with Leo (ATB)