[Dailydrool] Basset in need of a new home in Austin, Texas environs

L.K. Metzler via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sun Nov 29 22:03:33 PST 2015

Droolers, I am reaching out to you to help me find a home for Bocephus, a 9-year old Basset Boy in Austin, Texas.
His Mom is having to rehome him due to some personal issues that make it difficult to keep  him safe.  He is healthy and friendly and a regular guy, but due to his situation, he has developed some fear aggression behaviors that make him difficult to place with a rescue because of the liability concerns should he bite someone.  He currently lives in a family with young, active children (all under 5 years of age), one of whom is severely autistic.  The child is young, but does not understand that pulling ears, tails, lips, or hitting the dog causes pain and distress to the dog.  The family is concerned that the dog is suffering from stress and would verymuch like to find him a home where he might be an only dog or have a quiet companion.  He does have some food aggression issues, and has to be separated for feeding.  The owner states that he deesn't seem to mind cats, bt has not lived with one.
He was listed on the Austin Craigslist page, but the ad is gone or no longer working now.  Ive been working with another person t try to get this dog a home, and she has had the contact with the owner.

Bocephus is healthy and HW negative, and has been kept up on his vetting.  The family has had him since he was a puppy, and have had Bassets before.  This seems to be a rather heartbreaking decision to give him up, but they are trying to protect him.
If I could, I would take him myself, but financially and legally (my town has limits on the number of dogs I can have, and I'm at the limit of 5), that's not possible.  I can't even foster him, so he is still in his home, but having to be separated from everyone.  That's not a life for any dog...he needs someone to be a companion to, someone who can help him relearn what it is to be relaxed  and comfortable and not on the defensive all the time.

If there is anyone in the central Texas area or anywhere else in Texas that would like to have this gentleman hound live out his remainig years as a companion, please contact me ASAP.  I am willing to help transport him at least part of the way from Austin to his new home.

There is an out of state rescue who is willing to take him, but if at all possible, I'd like to see him stay here in Texas.
THANKS!

Lisa Metzlertoppogigio at yahoo.comcall or text 512-558-1776