[Dailydrool] GracieLou FlatBasset

Ellen Cole via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sat Oct 24 16:40:18 PDT 2015

We are having a struggle with GracieLou and am hoping that the experts on this list might have some insight and/or suggestions.  When Magnolia was a puppy, we knew that she needed canine companionship. We adopted Gracie from ABC. She had been rescued from a puppy mill and we knew that she had been abused and came to us "with baggage". She was extremely fearful. She spent much of her first months with us in the back of her crate. We kept a long leash on her, in order to get her out of the crate and get her outside. She was great with Magnolia. She immediately took on the role of mother and kept her eye on Magnolia all the time.  This repeated itself when we adopted Oliver. Gracie has always been the leader of the pack. She was estimated to be 3-5 years old when she came to us. That was 9 years ago. She eventually came to trust me and our adult nephew, but isn't convinced about my husband. He is okay...first thing in the morning when he will be providing her breakfast. Lets him pet her, the whole bit. After breakfast, she's done with him and barks at him when he is in sight. This is all complicated by the fact that he travels for work so is typically only home on weekends.  We have solved this problem, for better or worse, by giving the dogs access to a restricted portion of the house. This serves two purposes, as my husband is allergic as well (although he loves animals), so this keeps the allergens to a limited area in the house. Fast forward to this past week. With Magnolia's death, we reevaluated this decision. It is one thing for the two of them (we lost Oliver a couple years ago) to be together in their area. It is another for Gracie to be alone and segregated. This worked pretty well, until my husband got home. She won't settle down and is barking whenever we are home. She walks into the room we are in...barks...walks out and does a circuit of the house...returns to bark again...repeat. Clearly this needs to change.  It's not good for her or for us. The only thing that seems to help is to have her on leash. She stops barking, but won't settle down. Does anyone have any ideas? Is this something a thunder shirt might help...or a tranquilizer...or ...?

Ellen
erc2761 at gmail.com

Sent from my iPad