[Dailydrool] Thunder and fireworks

Valerie via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Tue Sep 1 12:58:24 PDT 2015

Both of my late hounds, Commander Bo and Harley of Hawaii, were absolutely terrified of fireworks, though they tolerated thunder okay. Every year the terror grew larger. For a number of years, closing all the windows, drawing all the shades, putting on a whirring fan, turning up the radio, and holding them close in bed with me helped. but then it wasn't enough. then one year I discovered my reading aloud to them helped a lot, though after hours and hours of this I was pretty hoarse. but then that didn't do the trick either. The thundershirt did not work at all. In Harley's last few years, we resorted to Valium, and you know what? It REALLY helped a lot. I know we all try to avoid "unnecessary" medicine, but this was both necessary and worked. Our vet has a greyhound mix that gets hysterical when it thunders and Pike also takes Valium. Our vet does not mind prescribing this for dogs like Harley and Pike.

Mila and Mariah do not seem to mind thunder. Mila has been with us for several fourths of July and New Year's eves now and takes fireworks in stride.  We will see with Mariah. the two houndettes are getting along great with one another. Val of Hawaii, Mila and Mariah. Vlbzwick at yahoo.com