[Dailydrool] Seizure help

Kara Carpenter via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Wed Sep 2 04:51:24 PDT 2015

Hi all, normally a lurker but REALLY need some help right now...
Rooney (age 9) suffered his first seizure that we know of on July 3rd, recovered fully in about 10 minutes but we immediately went to the vet.  They did a blood panel and everything looked fine and so did he so no further action was taken at the time.  This past Saturday evening he suffered a second one (that we are aware of) only this time he didn't jump right up after a few minutes.  My husband walked in on him mid-seizure so we don't know how long it lasted but he noted that Rooney seemed to come out of it and go back into it.  He was extremely lethargic afterward and slept about 12 hours straight.  Assuming he just needed time (plus the vet was closed) we didn't take him in.
Well after he woke up from his sleep he began pacing, panting, and barking...and this behavior has continued almost incessantly.  My husband was able to take him to the vet yesterday and they put him on Zonisamide 100mg twice a day and said it would cause drowsiness and therefore the restless behavior would stop.  He had his first dose last night at 6pm but continued with the agitated behavior, so we gave 50mg of benedryl in hopes that would settle him but it didn't work either.  This behavior is constant, whether he's inside or out, alone or with someone, day and night.  He is hoarse from barking and whining.  It is painful to see him like this and not know how to calm him and on top of it, none of our household (or neighbors) are getting any rest either.  So for those of you with experience in this, I guess I'd like to know:1.) How long can we expect this behavior to last?  Will he ever go back to normal?  4 days in I am beginning to feel quite hopeless I will ever get my Rooney back  :-( 2.)  Any home remedies to help calm him down?  I feel like if he'd just rest he might recover?  3.)  Any good or bad experience with the Zonisamide drug?  Or dogs with seizures in general?4.)  They gave us the info to consult with a neurologist--any experience there?Thanks in advance, looking forward to any responses!