[Dailydrool] Seizures in dogs

Suzanne Fitch via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Wed Sep 2 14:19:36 PDT 2015

Kara - your basset may need something in addition to what was already prescribed by your vet. I would NOT give the dog anything else, such as Benedryl without the ok of your vet. Seizure disorders in dogs, just as in people, require a balancing act with medications to see what works best with your dog. This is a serious condition and should be closely monitored by your vet. Be sure to start a log of when the seizures occur and their duration. This information will assist your vet in determining how best to proceed.

"Phenobarbital (sometimes abbreviated as Pb or Phb) is one of the medications most commonly used to treat seizures in dogs because it is relatively inexpensive, easy to use and effective in 60 to 80% of dogs with idiopathic epilepsy.  In addition to being used on a daily basis to prevent seizures, Phenobarbital can be used to stop seizures in progress.  Phenobarbital's peak activity occurs 4-8 hours after the pill is given.  While Pb is not FDA approved for use in dogs, it is one of two first choices for veterinarians and its use is accepted practice.  Phenobarbital comes in liquid or tablet form and is available both from a veterinarian and from a regular pharmacy by prescription. When Phenobarbital is started, it takes 1 to 2 weeks to reach a stable blood level.  Until that period has passed, it cannot be fully relied upon to prevent seizures.  Please contact your veterinarian if your dog has more than one seizure every two weeks or the seizures last
 longer than five minutes."
http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/phenobarbital.htm

We have two seizure bassets in our care. If you would like to chat with one of the foster homes who has become quite an expert about the condition, please feel free to email me at adopt4paws at yahoo.com

Suzanne Fitch
Mid-Atlantic Basset Hound Rescue