[Dailydrool] Odor de Pew

Chyril Sparks via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Mon Sep 21 18:14:18 PDT 2015

Ah the joys of dog ownership when a Pepe le Pew is involved. I have learned,  growing up in the Appalachian Mountains, that you MUST bathe the dog immediately after being sprayed by skunk with either Dawn or Joy diswashing soap. Skunk spray is oil based and you need to pull the oil off the dog hair which is why Dawn or Joy work the best. Once the oil dries then you can't get it off. You can try but only time will make the smell go away. A baking soda paste works some on collars but not much.
People of the Appalachian Mountains buried clothing sprayed by skunk in the dirt for 3 days, and when they dug it up the smell would be gone. I don't recommend burying your beloved hound, even though the thought might cross your mind, but you cos try covering rugs outside in dirt for 3 days to see if that helps. Otherwise that too will air out in time.
My recent skunk adventure was with Cassie. She was sprayed full on in the face by skunk she cornered in the yard. She dug a dirt trench with her face trying get the smell off. I came home from work about 2 hours later to the mess. She received 2 Dawn baths, collar was washed twice and paste applied, and one dog bed tossed out. This happened towards the end of May. It is now end of September and the odor is almost gone.  I'm just happy only one was sprayed and not all 3.
Good luck.
Chyril slave to Harley, Annabelle, and Cassie

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S® 6 edge.