[Dailydrool] Chew Toys

Jennifer Martin via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Wed Sep 30 04:58:52 PDT 2015

I am rather biased. I love nylabones. Keep in mind they come in all kinds
of shapes and flavors. Bugsey doesn't do chew toys. Beauford and Browyn
tend to like nubby ones. Their favorite flavors are original and bacon.
They adore the dental dinosaurs. Beauford really likes the wishbones. They
makes these nylabones with a softer plastic in the middle. Some are red
with four ends and others are green with two ends. They adore both of
those. I have also found that size matters. They really don't like the
enormous ones. They like the ones that are wolf size or just a little
bigger. They are only interested in kongs if I stuff them with something
yummy. If Mariah isn't increidibly destructive, you might try some of the
Pet Stages chew toys. Bugsey likes those. The problem is they are not
durable enough for his two siblings and they destroyed them all. They were
appropriate for Bugsey.

I never feed rawhide. It is a choking and an obstruction hazzard,
especially the way Beauford chews it. He bites off huge hunks and swallows
them.

I am not a fan of bully sticks or pig ears. No my objection is not that a
bully stick is a penis. It is that they put big barrels on the killing
floor and fill them with the penises or the ears. They are not kept
refrigerated while they wait for the barrel to fill. They aren't required
to because they are being using in the pet industry, not for human
consumption. Then they are dehydrated. The temps for dehydrating are not
really high enough to kill off really bad germs that could flourish in that
barrel. That, and the one time Beauford ate a bully stick, he totally
destroyed it in under 10 minutes.

Antlers are okay. They could break a tooth, but so could a nylabone. I
don't keep those on hand because we have fights over them.  They are very
expensive, but at least they last. Bugsey really needs a split antler and
if Beauford gets hold of a split one, it is gone very quickly.

So that is my extremely biased analysis of some of the chews available out
there.

Jennifer with Beauford, Bugsey, and Browyn the Fairy Princess