[Dailydrool] Canine cognitive dysfunction

Val lbrewerzwick via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sun Dec 18 19:29:13 PST 2016

Our late Commander Bo, who passed away a little over two years ago, suffered from doggie dementia (canine cognitive dysfunction) in the last years of his life.  He was also partially but not completely blind.  what I remember was helpful is as follows. my memory of specifics like dosages of medicine has dimmed a little with time.

1. Bo took Prozac, which helped a lot with sun downing and general anxiety. I no longer remember the exact dosage.

2. We left lights on in the house 24/7.  Just as is true for nursing home residents with dementia, so also was it true for Bo--that when lighting was dim, anxiety rose for Bo.

3.  WE would call out Bo's name when we moved around the house so Bo knew where we were. if Bo was somewhere and he felt lost, he would bellow out and we would answer until Bo located us. we called it "playing Barko Polo".  he was the Barko. WE were the Polo.  (except often if he bellowed, I would go find Bo, pick him up and bring him into wherever I was, and situate him next to me while murmuring sweet nothings.)

4. Bo wore a jumpsuit with a diaper in it when in the house as he forgot his house training as dementia progressed.  I made the jumpsuits out of washable human hoodie sweatshirts which zipped up the back and used human incontinence pads in them.

5. Bo did not enjoy walks after he began becoming demented, but he loved car rides, snuggled up next to a human, the breeze from the open windows blowing over him.  so we took him for lots of car rides.

I think all of the above helped Bo remain a happy hound through the last years of his life. Bill, hope  this helps.  the doggie dementia was manageable.

 Val of Hawaii, currently with Mariah, Mila, and Ipo; formerly with Commander Bo and Harley

Val