[Dailydrool] Ean the Defender

don/jan cook via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Mon Dec 26 13:44:55 PST 2016

We went for a walk in a big local dog park Xmas morning. Actually it is a big orchard and field that belongs to the University, which is nicely fenced and only a couple of gates to come and go. The University seems quite content to let the dog folks use it.

We were just finishing the loop when a youngish Rottie cross came bounding up to our old Bldhnd. Duncan is 10 1/2 and going blind, and a little arthritic. The Rottie tried to jump on Duncan, then bounded away to come back again. Dunc couldn’t quite keep track of him. Dunc issued his “leave me alone” sort of growl/howl, which the Rottie ignored.

Ean my 3 yr. old Basset wasn’t close to them. But he heard his buddy make that noise, and ran over to them in a shot! He barked at the Rottie, and as the Rottie danced around trying to get close to Duncan Ean kept himself between the Rottie and Duncan, barking the whole time.

Nobody was going to mess with his buddy!

What a short-legged hero!

Jan and the hounds
tudor2 at shaw.ca