[Dailydrool] vestibular disease

via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri Dec 30 16:24:47 PST 2016

Hi Kimlynne.

Our yellow lab, Scout, has been through 2 bouts of vestibular. It's a frightening experience. We were certain she had suffered a stroke the first time. She, too, could walk only in circles, her head was tipped, and her eyes darted to and fro. Sadly, many pet parents euthanize their dogs during the initial stages of vestibular. But in most cases it begins to slowly improve in a couple of weeks. Our vet had us give her doses of Mezcaline for the dizziness. Some dogs completely recover, but others are left with deficits. Scout is very "tippy" and will walk in circles when tired. She no longer has the nystagmus. We'll be slinging healing drool and wishes for a short recovery period your way. Be sure to emphasize to your vet that you think it is vestibular disease. It can be misdiagnosed with tragic results.

Lois Leader, Bobo the Inhaler (ATB), Scout (who we sometimes call Tippi Hedren), and Dobby the House Elf
lois.leader at cox.net