[Dailydrool] Wanted to share a fun fundraiser idea

Val lbrewerzwick via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sat Dec 31 19:02:22 PST 2016

For the past, gosh, I think it is going on   15 or 20 years now, one of the hotels here has sponsored a "festival of Christmas trees". I could envision the same thing at any place that has a big space and wants to draw in customers--for example, an indoor shopping mall, etc., but a hotel is perfect. The hotel invites all the (legal) nonprofits to compete for cash prizes for the best themed tree.  the nonprofit supplies the tree and decorates it.  visitors vote for the "best" tree, and cash prizes are awarded.  each vote costs $1.  I don't know how much the hotel chips in--they collect the money at their reception desk and keep the tally.  at our festival, first place takes $$2000, second place $1000, and third $$500. All the vote money is split among the rest of the nonprofits who didn't place.  the nonprofits put up easels explaining their organizations next to their trees.  the hotel gets its lobby decorated with fabulous trees and the publicity draws big crowds, at least here. I'm guessing the hotel donates the prize money and writes it off as publicity. (it is worth it since visitors then eat at the hotel's restaurants and shop at their shops).

THe "best" tree doesn't always win, since if a plain tree turns out a lot of its supporters and they have deep pockets, that will sway the results (though out of towners at the hotel balances this effect a little.  THe first place winner sits out the following year to give more charities a chance.

I work with our local all-breed no-kill rescue, and we have placed third for the last two years. Our volunteers made all the decorations. I make cool sock dog and cat head ornaments and can provide a quick tutorial for anyone interested. Another volunteer framed small photos of about fifty of the animals that found homes this past year.  another made ornaments out of tennis balls. LOts of great ideas.

WHat made me think of this just now is a friend sent me a photo of her basset themed Christmas tree and it is fabulous.  HAppy new year, all

Val of Hawaii with Ipo, Mariah, and Mila. Vlbzwick at yahoo.com