[Dailydrool] Howliday Card Exchange

mom2jaxson via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Tue Dec 27 08:01:34 PST 2016

I've been a part of the exchange every year.  I think it began in 1997.  I started with the small list and some pretty pathetic cards and advanced to the large list.
Then I realized if I shared postage, the large list shared, was cheaper than the small list alone. Over time the lists have shrunk.  19 years ago, the large list was 300+ people, this year we barely hit 100.  I hope the exchange will hit the 20 year mark.
Sharing postage with others has always been fun and easy for me.  I love stamps and stickers and decorating the envelopes, and if you order from Sam's or Walmart, I'll pick them up, saving you the postage required to send them to me!!!
I've only been "shafted" once in getting postage from someone I shared with.  I never ask for money upfront.  That one person, didn't keep me from sharing again.
Even if you are busy or don't have the energy to tackle the cards yourself, reach out to us that are willing to do the leg work for you.  All you have to do is order the cards.  Take some great photos in July or some other month that you have free time.  Then by December you will be ahead of the game.
This year, I actually said "no" to the exchange...at first.  My life is in turmoil, mostly because of Jax's health.   At the last minute, I said yes...and I'm glad I did.
My favorite thing about the exchange is passing along all the cards I get to someone else.  Last year, I never opened a single card.  I packaged them up and sent them off to others that needed to get something in the mail other than bad news or bills.  One year the howliday cards made made the cancer ward of a specific drooler.  She shared them with others to enjoy.  They eventually made their way back to me.  They were well handled and dog eared, but I cried when I got them back imaging how many people enjoyed them.
I say all this, so that you will consider the exchange next year.  It has been the one holiday present I've continued to give myself every year and a present to others I've never even met.
Karen Muchmore