[Dailydrool] We learn

Beverly Szaton via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Wed Feb 10 05:18:10 PST 2016

​We have wondered periodically what Merta Lou has learned and what she
still does not know.
For example did she know her name before or was learning her name a new
experience or something she had to re-learn? Without question she now
responds to Merta Lou in a way that lets us know she associates it with
herself.
And I know something else she knows.
I am sitting at the desk and hear cr-unch, crrrrunch, crr-ackle and I turn
around and say
"what do you have?"
Non-threatening. More curious than anything and
INSTANTLY
the ears flatten, the head ducks and the kid is off and running with her
prize. I have to laugh. Another phrase she has learned. What do you have?

Often when I see what she has I let her have it: we are pretty well
prepared for dogs grabbing things left about. So it isn't that she thinks
that line always precedes me taking something away.
Nor does she usually run away. But clearly the phrase was one she
recognized for what it was.
What a funny girl.

(She had Mr.Biskit's glasses, which had fallen un-noticed from his pocket.
No glasses were harmed in this incident.)

MomPerson to Little Miss I Understand More Than You Think, Conley and Doc​