[Dailydrool] Ear infections and Blue Power Ear Treatment

Pamela McQuade via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Thu Feb 11 14:52:34 PST 2016

Our sweet senior Alexis, long ATB, had terrible ear problems from an
untreated pseudomonas infection.

For those of you who have a dog who has just been diagnosed with this,
treat it early and treat it religiously, and you may avoid having a
terrible problem.

Lex came to us with a pristine bottle of ear treatment that had
obviously never been near her ears. If it had been, it would have been
gooky, and it was totally clean. Her vet records, however, told me that
she had had this problem as a puppy--her abysmal people had never
treated it.

By the time we got her, her ears were a terrible mess. While we fostered
her, Tri-State picked up the tab for every treatment the vets knew to
give her. Finally, she had a total ear canal ablation on one ear. With
no other treatments that could reasonably been used, the vet OK'ed the
blue power treatment on her remaining ear.

We managed to keep that ear going for the rest of her life by using the
BPET frequently. She never had the trouble with it that her TECA'd ear
had. The results were amazing.

One of my current vets is not sold on the BPET, but I still believe that
though it should be used carefully, it can be very helpful. I saw what
it did for Lex.

That being said, BPET cannot be used on an ear that is in any way
punctured. I believe that's what happened to Lex before I used the ear
treatment. While she was on the doctors' medications, she suddenly
refused to allow me to put anything in her ear. Later on, when I learned
more on this subject, I realized that her eardrum had probably been
perforated. In a short time she went from a very sweet girl to a raging
harpy as soon as I headed for her ears. I can't blame her, considering
the pain she was in. If I'd put the ear treatment in her bad ear, I
believe it would have been worse than it was with the doctor's
medications, and it was bad enough with those gentler treatments.

Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets