[Dailydrool] Anyone have experience with focal seizures?

Kara Carpenter via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Mon Feb 22 04:53:15 PST 2016

Hi,Lurker here, wondering if anyone has had experience with focal seizures in their hound?Over the summer, Fitz, had an episode while walking at the park where his back legs began kicking out behind him seemingly uncontrollably.  We took a short break and he was able to walk on back to the car.  He is 9, it was summertime, and it was nearing the end of our walk up a rather steep hill so I thought it was a byproduct of the incline and fatigue as I never witnessed it again.Fast forward to this weekend, the episodes started again in our backyard (not after a walk or much exertion) and was to the point where he was having great difficulty walking.  This time it seemed to mostly be his right hind leg kicking out, almost violently, messing up his gait, causing him to lose balance and finally just plop down on his bottom.  I noticed even after he was still the leg seemed to twitch a bit but not violently. So we visited the ER vet and I showed her the video I took on my phone of the episode (because naturally he didn't do it while we were there).  She thought his anals might be inflamed so emptied them and said if that didn't help and it continued, it could be nerve damage and/or focal seizures and we'd need to consult with the neurologist.  His brother was just diagnosed with epilepsy over the summer, after having full blown tonic clonic seizures, so she seemed to think it could be a hereditary thing. Of course he immediately had an episode as soon as we got home from the vet.  Just wondering if anyone had and thoughts/ideas/suggestions?  For now we have no meds, just trying to keep him quiet...he doesn't seem to be in any pain and the vet confirmed this.Thanks in advance!KaraRooney & Fitzy