[Dailydrool] Question about allergies

Val lbrewerzwick via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri Jun 17 13:41:36 PDT 2016

Aloha. Our Newest pack member, retired hunting dog half-pit bull half red heeler, Ipo, has skin issues. When she first arrived three months ago, she looked like a baboon--no hair on her rump or back legs, which were chewed red and raw with open sores. We originally diagnosed the problem as unattended flea allergy, as she had fleas. We got rid of the fleas, and with medicated shampoos and judicious use off the collar of shame, along with antibiotics and prednisone at first, we cleared up the sores and Ipo's hair grew back.  But then we began noticing her skin turn red and the itching start up again after days spent at adoption events trying to find her a home. At this point we thought it was stress-induced hives. (Looked like the hives you see on kids).  Events were on weekends, and during the week with a shampoo and anti-itch creams and reduced stress she would clear up again. finally we gave up on trying to find Ipo a home and adopted her ourselves. SHe is no beauty queen but she is a lovely dog. IPo's life is relatively stress free now (although she clearly still suffers PTSD from past abuse and then the suicide in her presence of her last owner) but her considerable anxiety is slowly improving. SHe now holds her tail up instead of keeping it between her legs and she loves to play with Mila.  But the inside of one back leg still gets red (with raised slightly paler bumps that look almost like mosquito bites, which she still licks and chews, especially at night).  We have started Ipo  on grain-free lamb or salmon food with either peas, rice, or sweet potatoes as the starch. I can't tell yet if it is helping. Probably I need another vet consult. But I am wondering what experienced droolers think of all this--what does the problem(s) seem to be? what might help? thank you in advance for your advice. Val of Hawaii with Ipo, Mila, and Mariah. Vlbzwick at yahoo.com

Val