[Dailydrool] Bossy Hounds

Jennifer Martin via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sun Mar 13 05:40:45 PDT 2016

I have to laugh about people's attitudes about being dominant. The whole
being dominant thing has so changed over the years. I remember when I took
Bismark to obedience training in 1991 in Texas. OMG! They kept wanting me
to hang the boy until he did what I wanted. Fiest I have to state Bismark
was NOT a dominant hound. HIs sister Bubbles was the queen of that and he
would doanything to avoid a confrontation. Thank doG I followed my gut and
quit that class. Then I signed him up again in 4 months and they had gone
more to positive reinforcement. They were still big on rolling the dog and
getting in their face. Looking bak now, that was so stinking dangerous! I
don't know about you, but I try to avoid getting bit. If I am going to get
bit, I sure don't want it to be in the face!

Fast forward. We ended up taking two dogs at two seperate dogs to the
behavioral clinic at Purdue. They all commented on how the dogs looked to
me for direction and followed me. I hadn't rolled a one of them, hung any
of them or spit in their food either. We played. We went on walks and had a
great time. I do make the dogs sit for their food bowl. I make them sit for
treats. They get treats for nail trims on on many different points in the
bath. One for getting in the shower on their own. Once for anals. One after
they are dried, etc. The only time we have issues with Bugsey any more is
when he is outside and he has been barking at the neighbors and is already
over stimulated. We have to make sure when we grab him to make him come
inside, he actually knows we are there and about to grab him. OTherwise he
growls. We are really making progress on the nonsense barking. We sit down
with him and acknowledge what he is barking at and tell him to calm and
praise him and give him treats when he can look at the cat teasing him
without barking. There is also a golden retreiver. We are making forward
steps, but have a ways to go with the kids. The problem is the kids have
tesed him in the past and continue to do so. We are trying to work with the
kids as well, but that is a lot harder. It is hard to control the kids when
the parents do NOTHING to help and actually bark back at the dogs. LIke
that helps.

When we moved to GA, the vet was impressed with how connected the dogs are
to me. It is fairly easy when you work with the dogs from day one. I have
to admit that I do bribe the dogs to drop nasty things. Not all the time. I
don't always have a treat on me. But I do it often enough that the dogs
usually comply. They don't get away with being nasty. I will use a dog gate
to heard them. I don't think I have had to use the gate much with the
current crew. I have to say that Browyn is such a good girl most of the
time. She is mortified to get in trouble. By the same token, if there is a
breach in the fence or you drop her leash, she is gone! The boys are much
ore likely to be the ones to tell me Browyn left the yared (only happened
twice, but I am scarred for life) and if I drop their leash, they stand
there until I grab their leash. Thank goodness Bugsey is the best about
this because he is a houdini about getting out of collars and harnesses..

I also want to say, I use the same dehydrator as Michele. Excalaber, 9
shelves 18x18 inches. They have a fan so you don't have to rotate the
shelves and they have a thermometer. Will be doing a load of sweet potatoes
next week when I am baking Bugsey's turkey.

Jennifer with Beauford, Bugsey, and Browyn the Fairy Princess