[Dailydrool] Vet

Dale Rutz via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri Mar 18 13:01:36 PDT 2016

 Hi all, it's Dale here,
I'm pretty broke at present but my dogs are fine.  That's good I guess.  Sheesh.
Gracie had been acting very weirdly around dinner time ... shaking and hiding and refusing to eat ...... I took her to the vet who diagnosed cataracts.  She recommended that I give her the same meds I give for fireworks (Xanax) and get her into the ophthalmologist that Snoopy and LuLu see.  The Xanax worked fine ..... after a few days we cut the dose in half (the original dose in 4X what my HUSBAND takes in order to get on an airplane) .... and Gracie is still doing fine.  The thing is ..... Gracie went to the ophthalmologist yesterday and they did pressure tests and vision tests and night vision tests and all kinds of tests .....it cost us over $200 ..... to find out ..... Gracie's vet was WRONG she does NOT have cataracts and her vision is EXCELLENT ..... even night vision.  So ..... I guess she's just neurotic.  Snoopy is an idiot around dinner time, he's food aggressive and he will tackle any dog who comes in the kitchen ..... he's probably the cause of all her troubles.  Oh Snoopy ........
And then there's LuLu.  Who caught some kind of critter a couple of weeks ago and discovered that critters are harder to kill when your big back teeth have all been removed.  From the pattern of the bite marks (both sides of her mouth and on her doolap) I would say she had the mid section deep in her mouth and was accustomed to biting down hard to kill the thing but gumming to death proved more difficult and it bit her at least half a dozen times.  I found the wounds on her face (smaller than a dime) and treated them.  Then natalie found the wounds on her doolap as hard bumps ..... my heart raced when Natalie told me there were hard lumps on LuLus neck ..... but they were scabs.  I cleaned it up but the doolap is hard because it's dark and wrinkled ...I used all my wound car tricks but infection started to set in and off to the vet we went.  Vet told us to keep up what we were already doing and prescribed a weeks worth of antibiotics.  She's healing up ok.
I took the 3 of them for a walk just now.  They are very cute together ..... happy and playful and social (and vocal .... ahroooooooo everybody).  I love my basset hounds.  They sure do cause me a lot of worry ..... but I wouldn't be without them.
--Dale .... with Snoopy, OEBE Curator of Missing Objects, LuLu Konker extrodinair and Gracie the little dickens