[Dailydrool] Intimidation tactics

Sally King via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sun Mar 13 14:17:26 PDT 2016

I start this by saying I love Rolph unconditionally. He is funny, clever and loving. But on the subject of intimidation, he is an absolute so and so.
If we meet another dog, he goes straight into attack mode. I now put him in a sit and give the "watch me" command until the other dog passes. He gets a treat. Clara gets a treat and the other dog gets to keep its face. This is something we have to do without fail.
In the house, if he gives a warning, he means it. He doesn't just air snap. He has bitten my daughters, he has bitten me. He has never torn the skin, but it has been a lot harder than a nip. And he will not back down. There have been occasions when I have physically fought him into the nearest room and shut the door on him, leaving him to calm down. Once, when I opened the door ten minutes later, he went back on the attack.
He gets like this rarely, but it means I never trust him around, for example, my granddaughter, three, of whom he is very jealous.
Teaching him to trade has helped avoid some situations. I keep treats all around the house, so I can always grab a bribe. If he gets a treat, Clara gets one too, without needing to be naughty first.
There are things you can NEVER do to Rolph. If he is lying on something, such as the TV remote, if you try to take it, he will go for you. He has to be encouraged (bribed) to move off the item. Likewise, if I tell him to get off some prime spot such as the sofa or bed, he will hurmph and moan. If he's in a really bed mood, he will snap. If that happens he is banned from that place for months.
He lets me get away with far more than anyone else. I expect more from him, too.
He once snarked at a judge in the show ring. She boxed his snout. I wasn't sure which I was more upset about.
Sally, with the ever-challenging Rolph and sweet Clara, UK