[Dailydrool] Boys and Girls

Ellen Cole via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Tue May 24 06:57:30 PDT 2016

Over the years, we've had three girls and one boy. Abigail was an only
basset and was our baby. She ran the house every minute of her 10.5 years
on this earth. My husband and I were just remembering the day we picked her
up. We had the crate in the back of the car all ready for her. In she
went...one block later, we were stopping to rescue her from the crate
because she was crying miserably. She rode the rest of the way home (50
miles) sound asleep on my lap. Training had commenced. A similar thing
happened that night when she almost immediately came out of the crate and
into the bed.

After Abigail went to the bridge, we brought Magnolia home. She was a puppy
with limitless energy and we soon realized that she needed company or we
weren't going to survive. We rescued GracieLou FlatBasset from ABC and, a
year later, I "transport-failed" with Oklahoma Oliver and adopted him from
NEBHR. In Oliver's first 24 hours with us, he grabbed each of the girls and
held them down by their necks on the lawn. We wondered what we'd gotten
ourselves in to! The next morning, my husband called them into the house
for breakfast and Oliver decided that it would be a good time to show the
girls who would go in the house first for breakfast. At that point,
GracieLou had enough of his nonsense and let him know...in no uncertain
terms...that the answer to that question was HER. From that moment on,
GracieLou was the obvious leader of the pack. They watched her for all her
cues.

Oliver turned out to be the most loving, cuddly dog we've ever had. He
would just stare at us, wagging his tail, seeming to say, "You're
wonderful" every minute of every day. He was not the sharpest knife in the
drawer, but was a gentle, kind soul.

So...I guess I have to agree. The girls have been the bosses and the boy
was the love bug.

Ellen & GracieLou FlatBasset
erc2761 at gmail.com