[Dailydrool] Boys vs. Girls

Jennifer Martin via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Mon May 23 21:33:53 PDT 2016

In my 27 years of having bassets as an adult, we have had 10 bassets. 6
females and 4 males. Three of the females died when they were 4. Otherwise
the numbers would be more even. Personally, I love the boys. They are big
giant lovebugs The girls are bossy pigs. Obviously, I am not against the
girls or I wouldn't have had so many. Of course part of that is my hubby
loves the girls. So the house just doesn't seem complete without a boy and
a girl. I also think there are a lot fewer serious fights when you have a
mix. The boys just aren't willing to go after the girls with all intent to
kill.

The dynamics right now are strange. Beauford is the oldest and he will not
hesitate to put Browyn in her place if she gets too rowdy. He will not take
anything off of Bugsey either. By the same token, Beauford never goes
looking for a fight. He doesn't care who goes through the door first or
last either. Browyn can be pretty bossy, but it isn't about the normal
dominant things. She has to have a brother go outside with her and she will
stand at the door and give the boys the look until one or both decide to go
with her. She is the most likely to start a wrestling match. Bugsey is the
most grumpy. Sometimes he just doesn't want to be messed with and he will
growl at anyone who comes near him this isn't often and it usually doesn't
last long (gee, I have figured out this means he is either tired or needs
mama lap time and I make sure he gets it so it doesn't escalate). He can be
the meanest and the sweetest. He will steal toys and bones from Beauford
and Browyn and hide them in the couch. But, he will also make sure they
have them if they aren't feeling well. He will drag toys and bones all over
the place making sure Browyn's current favorites are available at all
times. Oh well. I am just grateful that they get along 99.8% of the time
and they enjoy each other so much.

Jennifer with Beauford, Bugsey, and Browyn the Fairy Princess
timandjenmartin at gmail.com