[Dailydrool] Calendar Basset, 11/25

Sherry Moore via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri Nov 25 04:51:53 PST 2016

At a home in northeast Phoenix 39 years ago today, coincidentally also a day after Thanksgiving, a woman whelped a litter of Basset Hound puppies. Our Guffy came to us at the end of that year (too soon, we know now), and the rest is Basset history. Our first Basset, our first baby, we settled on a Basset after checking the AKC dog book out of the Mesa Public Library a Nickzillion times. First thought I wanted a Dachshund, but was soon captivated by these dwarf angels with ears for wings.

Guffy was certainly our trainer Basset as well as our first. You name it, we probably did it wrong, but we were smitten, tried hard and learned a lot. There are so many memories! This was the dog who swallowed (and passed!) 32 marbles, played with (and ate some) potatoes all over our house (we found them for days after), ate an entire 1.5-lb. package of Oreos with no ill effects, and so many other acts of devilry.

He was three when our son Chris was born, and from the first they were partners in crime. Doesn’t every child learn to walk by holding on to a Basset’s loose skin? For all his mischief, he was Chris’s best bud. After moving house from Arizona to Michigan to New Jersey to Tennessee, we lost him to oral melanoma in 1986. We were even reminiscing about him yesterday around the family Thanksgiving dinner table. He left a legacy that our Edric is currently doing his best to live up to.

I’ll see you again someday, Guff. Until then, keep raising hell at the Rainbow Bridge.

Sherry in AZ
with GiGi the Perfect and Edric the Busy
sherrymoore at me.com <mailto:sherrymoore at me.com>