[Dailydrool] Breeding and mentors

Beverly Szaton via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Thu Oct 6 15:43:20 PDT 2016

​I would suggest she talk with her Vet and also that she attend every show
on the Islands between now and whenever and talk to breeders and handlers
to find out what they suggest. As I am sure you know and she now knows,
breeding a litter is not the lark it sounds like. Terrible horrible things
can go wrong and do. This is the voice of experience--not enough of it
(experience) and the things I had go wrong were not that devastating.
Orphaned puppies require expert care and placing a feeding tube so it is
not in the lungs is a challenge I do not want to have to learn, so that one
litter will be the only litter I ever have. I lost two puppies, Zelda had
to have a C-section and one puppy was forever semi-crippled (Llewis.). We
ended at about a thousand dollars in the hole. But it wasn't the money. It
was knowing that despite being a Tech and despite having easy access to a
half dozen Veterinarians, I did not have the knowledge I needed.

I do not feel comfortable saying she should not be breeding dogs based on
the fact that she went into the first one with her eyes shut and no
experience. What happened to her was horrible and hopefully she came away
having learned a very great deal. All breeders have terrible things happen
if they breed long enough. It is not for the faint of heart.

If Val tells her not to breed she may not listen. If she talks to breeders
at shows, and her Vet, she may, or she may come away knowing what she needs
to know to be successful.

Bev
MomPerson to Conley Doc & MertaLou

bgszap2 at gmail.com