[Dailydrool] Pill Pockets and ice cube trays

wen via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sat Oct 22 07:34:50 PDT 2016

Hi all.
We use pill pockets daily with our hounds.  There are 5 hounds who get a
famotidine before each meal and it is easier to give it to them wrapped in a
pill pocket.  We buy the capsule size and cut them into eights, then put the
10mg famotidine in one piece and wrap it.  It is perfect size and does not
waste the pill pockets.  We make up a container if these every so often and
they stay fine as we use them up.  Think we probably make up about 100 at a
time, as we use 10 per day here.
But I also use pill pockets for other pills when one of the hounds has
gotten wise to getting their pills in cream cheese.  We keep several tubs of
cream cheese in the fridge, as it is the main food to get pills down for the
Bounders.
I also will open a can of low gastro (Royal Canin) and use the soft food as
a pill hider for a hound or too who has wised up to getting a tramadol in
cream cheese.
Rarely we have to use a liver paste.  If you have ever taken a tramadol
yourself, you know how nasty they are, so I cannot blame the hounds for
hating them.  Right now I only have 2 hounds on that for their bad
spondylosis.

A hint for multiple hound households who get meds:
Wanted to also say, for anyone who has several hounds taking meds,
sometimes pill time can get confusing.    A few years ago, I started using
ice cubes trays to sort out their pills.
Since we have 15 here, I have 2 trays, with one row across being AM, and the
other being PM.  I put their names on top of a row going down, and then each
night I set up their meds for the next day,   this makes it easier for me in
remembering who gets what before my coffee in the morning.

We are in the 50's this morning and the windows are open, it is a beautiful
fall day here.....do you think I can get them to sun outside?  Nope, have 5
around my desk as I try to work.

Have a great weekend!
Wen and the Bounders
houndsabound at cfl.rr.com