[Dailydrool] Basset Hounds and Anal Glands

Stephanie McNamara via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Mon Oct 24 07:01:37 PDT 2016

I took Ellie my 4 month old puppy to the vet because she was scooting and the vet said her anal glands were full and that they were very moveable. She just said to express them and bring her back in a month to check up on them.

I was wondering, is that common for bassets? She has so much loose skin I was wondering if it was possible they were so moveable since she's still growing? Is there anything that can be done to try to treat the problem besides just having them expressed manually? I've read that expressing them manually can damage them so they can't express on their own. If she has to have it done we obviously will but I'd love to try to fix the problem.

Thank you all for any help!
-Stephanie, Ellie (I did NOT like that, mom!) and Ace the GSP :)