[Dailydrool] Hormones

Beverly Szaton via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Thu Sep 8 15:28:31 PDT 2016

​Merta Lou came to us having just completed her first heat cycle last
December.
We had her spayed in accordance with the contract we signed in Feb or March.
Along about June I noticed Doc (intact) following her nose to heinie, in a
most suggestive manner. Along with that came the in-house marking, and
frantic attempts to engage Merta Lou in an illicit lust affair. She wasn't
interested, but she was very flirty for a spayed bitch, and from the rear
she had a distinctly "Hi, Big Boy" wiggle to her walk.
We ran some (expensive) tests and learned that indeed, there is tissue in
her someplace that is still hormonally active.

We decided, along with our Vet, that if she simply had false heats every
six months we could probably deal with that.

But now, she appears to be coming into "heat" again. Doc agrees. I took her
in today and we ran a progesterone test but if she is going to "cycle"
every 3 months, this is just not acceptable. It's terrible for her health.
It isn't just the 3 weeks of season where she's messed up, it's a the false
pregnancies and the ghost puppies that we cannot afford to let her go
through every few months.

I fear we are going to have to go in and look for that tissue, and hope it
is near the spot where the ovaries were....Suggestions welcome. I have no
experience with this at all...

MomPerson to a very sexy little girl

bgszap2 at gmail.com