[Dailydrool] A little more about the WMBRI quilt being auctioned

Val lbrewerzwick via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sun Sep 18 20:04:17 PDT 2016

I wanted to share a little more about the quilt being raffled to benefit Western Missouri Basset Hound Rescue.  It is a twin/double bed quilt size and is made of 100% cotton, so it is machine washable (cold). Two techniques were used to make the quilt. the style is what is called a "watercolor quilt", which is when small squares are cut out of patterned materials (often flowered) and then re-combined and re-assembled, as if pieces of a puzzle, to create a a tableau which resembles the brushstroke a of impressionist paintings. this quilt is titled "At the lake" and on the shore of the lake are three little basset hounds.  At the quilt shore where it was displayed, it was a big hit with kids who were asked to play a version of 'where's Waldo?' (Only "where are the basset hounds." (They are small). The other technique used was "quilt as you go", where sections of the quilt were done separately then combined for the final product. this technique allows a quilter with a small home machine to make large quilts. FInally, there is a sleeve at the top so the quilt can be hung on a drapery rod and displayed as a mural if that is preferred to using it as a bed quilt. (quilters have to do this for shows). Four hundred attendees at our island quilt show voted for their favorite quilt (of about a hundred) and winners were selected. THis quilt took a third place ribbon. (so I imagine it would make a good gift.). I hope folks will take a chance on it to help Chris Bly meet the vet needs of her Western Missouri Basset Rescue hounds. details on how to purchase a ticket are in Chris' post. there are photos of sections of the quilt on Chris' you caring site. the quilt is a little darker than pictured. there is also a photo of the full quilt on my website, but I am not allowed to post the website name, so write me if you want that citation. Aloha,

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com