[Dailydrool] Morse is a roundabout

Rebecca Louisa Stanton via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sun Apr 30 15:29:55 PDT 2017

Good evening droolers.  Its Bank Holiday weekend here in the UK, and true
to form it has rained all day today and it is forecast to rain all day
tomorrow, but fear not, the sun will be out Tuesday, when we are all back
at work :))

Morse has taken to lying in the road outside of our house.  Not at the side
of the road, not conveniently at the edge.  But right in the middle.  It's
quite incredible how he seems to position himself at the most awkward
area.  It is not a massively busy road, sometimes (night-times and
mornings) we can go a few hours without a car.  But obviously school
times/rush hour it is worse.  So he lies down in the road.  I am looking up
the road at both sides (we are in a dip, so surrounded by hills on both
sides).  Faintly I hear the sound of a car in the distance.  I suggest to
Morse that he really needs to get up.  There is no response, but the nose
is constantly twitching just in case I was saying "perhaps you would like a
sausage".   I step either side of him and attempt to lift.  Attempt being
the operative word, as he is no lightweight.  And at this point in time his
body becomes stuck like glue to the road.  His face lifts, and he has left
a drooly mark on the road where his face was.  By now the car has come down
the hill and is slowing as he draws nearer.  Morse gazes sourly at the
driver (who is usually amused.  some are irritated.  whatever, Morse still
doesnt move).   I can often wave the car round Morse, who still isnt
moving.  The car moves round and up the hill.  Sometimes they will ask if
he is alright, as some think he has collapsed.  I explain he is a basset
and they are stubborn.  Sometimes they will ask if he has walked far, and
perhaps he is tired.  I point out where we live and no, he hasnt walked
far.   Morse slams his head to the ground again with a hrrrmph at the nerve
of the motorist.
The horses sometimes pass us.  The riders are fond of Morse, and call him
Flash. We are loving the sound of the London trip.  A Devon diversion will
also be very welcome!
Becky, Morse and Pumbaa ATB
pummorse at gmail.com