[Dailydrool] Gardening With Hounds

Meckler, Michael via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Wed Aug 9 14:36:13 PDT 2017

‎How true! I had two 10-foot rows of asparagus in the yard before Dermot arrived, and it never occurred to me he would eat it.‎ And the first year, he didn't -- although he arrived as a 4-month-old pup right before Independence Day, by which time the asparagus had already been harvested. But he didn't bother the ferns that developed later in the summer.

The next year, Dermot didn't bother the asparagus when it came up and was harvested, but late in the summer he took an interest in the ferns. At that point, the ferns had dried up, and I believed he thought they were just little sticks.

The third year, Dermot ate up the asparagus as soon as it started to come up. Ate them down to the roots. And ate the roots.

The fourth year, there was no longer any asparagus in the yard.
‎