[Dailydrool] Slow walks

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 23:57:19 PST 2017

I have always asked my dogs, Bassets included, to come along on a walk.
This really came about because I walked the Bassets and Belgian together
and Belgians sniff around but not like a Basset, not having the nose that
the latter have.
So my rule has always been: you get about a half or two-thirds of a block
to sniff and mark, and beyond that you don't need to spend 20 minutes in
one spot examining every blade of grass. After a half a block you are
walking, not resting.
This was flexible as the dogs got much older, of course.
And lately of course, it is not the dogs who is needing to pause but the
walker (or limper). The two commands that really have made life easier in
the past years (and which neither of these dogs has ever had reason to
learn) are
"hurry up" (which means do you business right now)and
"let's walk".

MomPerson to Conley, Merta Lou and Doc
bgszap2 at gmail.com