[Dailydrool] Poor Beauford (May be too graphic for the weak of heart or stomach)

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 05:20:20 PST 2017

So, I can't decide if I was a bad mom or not. I think I mentioned before
that Beauford has just been whining a whole lot. He was at the vet. the vet
didn't see anything and figured he just needed more attention. Well, Browyn
has a cyst on her side and it has been growing by leaps and bounds. She
just had all her cysts removed and her teeth cleaned 4 months ago. I knew
it was a fatty cyst because the vet did aspirate it. So I stuck a needle
(on a syringe) in it and the plunger shot out on its own to .03. We are
talking some serious pressure. I was able to drain about a tablespoon off.
Tiny pus clog, a streak of blood and all the rest oil. I decided I better
check out all of Beauford's cysts because some are not easy to see. One of
the cysts on the back of his leg was red, hot and tight as a drum. It was
about the size of a golf ball and I did not want it spontaniously
exploding! I stuck a needle in it and couldn't get anything out, but I
could see pus trying to make its way out. So, I took a brand new exacto
knife and sprayed it down with chlorhexadine and let it sit a couple of
minutes. Then I took the knife and a clean drool rag and cut a 1/4 inch
incision in it. Pus started spraying out. Then I milked it dry. I got about
a 1/4 cup of pure pus out of it. I sprayed it well with chlorhexidine and
put gauze pads on it and secured them with vet wrap. The next morning it
was obvious that I needed a bigger incision if I wanted the thing to quit
draining. So I did that and flushed it with 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 water. I
can see the core, but I can't get it out. Well, after my first attempt at
draining it, Beauford quit all his whining! Never fear, he has been to the
vet and he is on antibiotics. In case you are wondering, he was just under
to remove cysts and have his teeth cleaned. Since then he has had two very
tiny cysts explode on me. He now has 7 cysts on him. I just didn't want to
put him under again so soon if I could avoid it. It isn't a money thing.
Really. Anyway. The vet said to flush it out with 20cc chlorhexidine mixed
with 80cc eye saline. So I stopped at the pharmacy on the way home and got
staight eye saline. I mixed up the concoction and I am to flush it once a
day. Then gauze and vet wrap during the day and unwrapped so it can breathe
better at night. Poor guy! I feel so bad for him. I think I am getting a
box of surgical blades in case I have to do this again. The exacto knife
worked, but it went dull very fast. Besides, I am hoping if I am prepared,
I won't need to do this again! In case you are wondering, I worked in hog
barns for about 5 years and I have had to lance more abcesses than I can
count. So I do know how to tell if it has come to a head and where the head
is. I would prefer to just wait and have them removed surgically, but
having them explode is no fun either, especially if you can see that it is
going to do it! Anyway, he is also going to be retested for allergies to
see if we can get his allergies back under control!

Jennifer with Beauford, Bugsey, and Browyn the Fairy Princess