[Dailydrool] The chalk, and keeping them home

Mary Wilson via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sat Feb 11 17:36:33 PST 2017

Speaking as someone who has mourned deeply for plastic bags on the
roadside, I can absolutely understand being convinced that one has found
the remains of an unlabelled dear departed.

We're lucky enough to live in a rural area, so dear Billy B Basset and
Vernon Q Basset are buried in graves on our property.

In an illness not long before his final one, Vernon Q went out in the
middle of the night and started excavating a hole some little distance from
our house, alongside a large fern. We told Vern at that point that if he
was going to leave the earth, that was okay and we understood, but he could
do so inside by the fire rather than outside in the rain (accompanied by
people in nightwear.)

When he did pass, in the house, some weeks later, we buried him under the
fern he selected. I do prefer knowing where they are, and I share the
feeling that they are safe at that point -- safe from suffering, free from
pain, and purely loved.

Such touching stories of everyone's dear ones!
Mary
with Paddi B Basset, who intends to live forever,
& Vernon Q and Billy B Basset, safe home at the bridge