[Dailydrool] Fearful furbaby

via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri Feb 17 13:51:35 PST 2017

Hi, Droolers.

I need to call on your collective wisdom on behalf of our new furbaby, Pepper, a Basset/Australian Cattle Dog mix. She is a rescue who was found wandering the streets with a too-small bark collar strapped to her neck. She is very sweet, but fearful. She will do the submission cringe at the drop of a hat. She is fearful of leashes, of going outside (complicates house-training) and of being told 'no', no matter how gently. She is approximately 3 years old. What advice do you have for gaining the trust of and working with fearful dogs? What has been your experience? I have learned so much from this group; you're the first folks I thought of as a resource:) Thank you!

Lois Leader
Bobo the Inhaler (ATB), Scout his Lab assistant (ATB), Dobby the House Elf, and Pepper the Aussie Basset Dog
lois.leader at cox.net