[Dailydrool] Fearful dogs

Beverly Szaton via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri Feb 17 17:12:39 PST 2017

​Ahem this is Miss Merta Lou Professional Lady Basset and I wish to address
the problem of the fearful dog because I do have
some....ah....some...little...ah...personal experience in this but no
longer of course     so long as we kind of... stay home....sortof...

Anyway I have an unusual point to make.
I personally look at faces for clues of intent and levels of friendliness
and as a reflection of approval of my behavior.
It was, in fact, facial references that encouraged me to
be a little more trusting of my new MomPerson, as she smiled at me a lot of
the time. Nevermind that it looked as if she were in the latter stages of
rictus, she SMILED when she looked at me.
She SMILED when I came to her, when I wagged, when I didn't run away.
Whatever you do with your new terrified friend, SMILE. Dogs do look at
faces. They do in fact understand a smile.
Whatever else you do, smile while you do it.

Good Luck and Smooches to the new little one.
MertaLou, Professional Lady basset

bgszap2 at gmail.com