[Dailydrool] Encouragement for folks adding new dogs to their packs

Val lbrewerzwick via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sun Feb 26 12:17:43 PST 2017

As I wrote earlier, we are dogsitting an incapacitated friend's dog.  The first day and night all the dogs were cordial but reserved, and my pack didn't let the newcomer sleep in the bedroom.  But every day the dogs have become more welcoming to the newcomer, and now, on day five, the new little member totally fits in--runs with the girls, sleeps in the bedroom, plays with all three, walks with the crew.  No conflicts whatsoever.  He has been accepted into the famil.y by our dogs.

How did this happen?  PRobably because the little dog, Mo, has not challenged any boundaries--he is not the alpha sort.  He is more interested in the dogs than the humans, so no jealousy there.  We have not fussed over him.  and we have scrupulously followed routines--the dog bowls of each of our three are set down in a specific order and each of our girls waits at her specific feeding station (separated by about three years each). We added Mo,as the last to eat at his own feeding station. But, probably, the biggest factor has been MO's willingness not to challenge.  Whenever we have a really alpha dog visit, peace is never this easy.  But I write to be encouraging about folks adding new pack members (and comment that it's probably easier is the newcomer isn't an alpha personality)

Val