[Dailydrool] Goodbye Speedy

Nancy Candray via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri Jan 27 21:57:11 PST 2017

Speedy had his eye surgery removal on Monday. He didn't do so well Tuesday afterward. Wednesday was better, I figured out that the cone of shame was the cause of his woes. Silly basset dramatic as ever. Yesterday he was better and this morning he was running like his name sake. Poor guy, guess he was enjoying the free time out of his cone.

The boys spent their day at home alone and when I came home after work Speedy was bloating. I could tell by the way there was drool everywhere that I was not catching it early so I rushed to the vet. The vet confirmed it was bloat. They were able to release the air but it was too late his stomach was twisted. I had made it home too late to catch it on time and he didn't make it. I was forced to say my goodbye to him then waited for the DH and my 3 yr old to say their goodbyes. Unfortunately Rambo could not join us but really he was the first to tell me Speedy was not right when I walked in the door. I think he knew it when we came home, his best friend wasn't coming back. I feel for him. Speedy was his security blanket but I think Rambo is at peace with it. Or maybe he is still in shock like the DH and I are.

My daughter did say right before we left "Speedy is so cute" which made me smile because he was, he really, really was so cute. And the best dog a girl could ask for despite his dramatic streak. But that was part of Speedy's charm.

I don't think I'm done crying yet. It comes and goes in waves. All I really know I really know is that the house is quiet and in the morning I won't find him sleeping in his bed.

Fly free my wonderful little guy! Fly free!

Nancy
speedsterbasset at yahoo.com

Sent from my iPhone