[Dailydrool] Sasha

Dossey, Gwen via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Thu Jul 13 11:10:50 PDT 2017

For those of you not on FB, here is our tale from the past weekend...
I woke up around 2am because I heard Sasha crying.  I called to her and she ran up the hall and jumped onto our bed.  I then heard a door shut so I yelled for Shawn.  He came in the bedroom and asked if Sasha was ok because she was attacked by a raccoon!  He heard her crying also and she came flying in through the dog door. I looked her over and found 2 small (1/4" and 1/2" cuts) and some scrapes on her belly.  I flushed the cuts out with peroxide and cuddled with her until the vet opened at 8am.  And then brought her in closer to 9am when the doctor came in.  The inner thigh cut was worse than I thought so he said definite stitches.  I was glad that they were going to be cleaning them out better, too!  So she got 5 stitches in each wound for a total of 10, but it could have been MUCH worse!!  She actually met me at the door yesterday and brought me  her stuffed turkey (her favorite) and we played fetch with it for a couple of minutes so she's feeling better!  All I can say about it really is that I'm SO glad that it wasn't Madden who went out in the middle of the night and got attacked!!  It could have been her very easily, because she likes to go on these "walkabouts" every now and again and I just let her go until she comes back on her own! Being blind and all I'm sure she wouldn't have been able to get away to safety nearly as quickly as Sasha was able to!!  I tell you, now when she goes out at night, if she acts like she's heading for a walk, I'll go out with her just to make sure the coast is clear that's for sure!!

It did take some time to get Sasha to go outside!  I had to bribe her to go out and keep her out long enough to pee and I had to show her that the raccoon was gone, but I think she's getting better a little each day.  Shawn said that she would make extra quick pit stops outside before bursting through the doggy door, but I've yet to see her go back out at night yet, which might not be a bad thing as long as she can continue to hold it...

I reported it to the Animal Control, just because I thought they should know and they came out to investigate.  We knew Sasha was still drugged when she didn't bark the entire time AC was there! :)  Anyways, She told me that Sasha would be on house quarantine for 10 days and asked if she was UTD & I said I think so.  She said that's ok, we can get the records from your vet so I told her my dilemma -I hadn't gotten her last rabies shot at the vets, we were at Bark in the Park or one of those functions, and I have no clue where I put the rabies certificate (I assume they gave me one), so she goes, if you don't have proof, she'll have to go on 6-months house quarantine!  I was floored!  I said, for a scratch?  And she says, Oh, she wasn't bitten?  So I said, no, the doctor and I agree that it looks like a scratch wound - here look at the pictures I took last night and she's like well, if she wasn't bitten forget it - she doesn't need to be quarantined!!  I sighed the biggest sigh of relief EVER!?!?!?

Anyways - just wondering if anyone else has gone through anything like this and if you did what was the outcome (good I hope!)!?!?

Hugs and healing drool to all those that need it!
~Gwen, Madden and Sasha the Raccoon hunter~ (:>
(o_
// \
V_/_ <=penguin
gdossey at te.com<mailto:gdossey at te.com>
Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.