[Dailydrool] Breeds

Beverly Szaton via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sun Jun 4 17:19:47 PDT 2017

OBOY love this topic. After years at the kennel, I learned there were tons
of breed specific behaviors--and sounds. I got so I could tell when I
unlocked the doors if we had a German Shepherd in the house by his bark.
High pitched, stressed sounding with a bit of a squeak.
AT home, my mix of Bassets and BelgianSheepdogs taught me that Belgians are
never quite "out": If I tell a sleeping Basset to move, I am going to have
to wait. If I tell Doc to move, he is up and under way before the word is
out of my mouth.
Bassets like to please so they can be obedient but they like the reward a
whole lot. Belgians, like Border Collies and many of their herding ilk, are
over-achievers.
Belgians are more serious. Bassets like to laugh. Belgians will tell you to
straighten up. Bassets put their beautiful noses to the ground and take off
if the gate is open, but the Belgians stay in the yard and bellow for help.
HURRY THEY'RE GETTING AWAY!
And yet for all that, the dog I had who went to the mat for us when an
unwelcome person tried to climb over the fence, was Zelda, our little
Basset bitch,(atb) who nailed the guy in the ankle and would not let go
until I came out and detached her.
All my Belgians have done certain things as have all the Bassets but once
in awhile, one really surprises me.

MomPerson to Conley, Merta Lou & Doc