[Dailydrool] How I got a basset stories

Susan Scott-Chambers via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sun Mar 5 20:03:29 PST 2017

I love reading all the stories of how people got inducted into the basset
hound cult!

I got Sophie from the Richmond, VA SPCA.  When I went to check out the
available dogs, she was the most pitiful one.  She sat hunched at the back
of the kennel and only came forward after lots of coaxing.  The workers
said that a big guy came in and dropped her off, saying, "Take this (*&^*(&
dog!".  I don't know what her background story was.  The day after we got
home, she pooped out a huge man's tube sock!  I can't believe that didn't
kill her.

Sophie was a pretty, petite tricolor who lived to be 14 years old.  She
developed an "attitude problem" in her senior years.  A brain tumor was
diagnosed, and she was PTS on 4-17-02.  By the grace of God, I had adopted
another basset, Jolie, just five weeks earlier from BellyRubs Basset Rescue
(then it was WTBR). I thought they would be good friends.  Without Jolie, I
never could have faced the devastation of losing my beloved Sophie.

Jolie turned out to be a total darling who passed (too soon) on 2-22-2005.
Since then, we've had Gracie Girl, Beau, and Noodle (all basset rescues).
Chance the shepherd mix was added in 2014.

I hope to always have a basset hound in our home!  I like to tell people
that they're just like me:  old, French and melancholy!

Susan
lily5943 at gmail.com