[Dailydrool] ACL

Dossey, Gwen via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Thu Mar 23 06:37:08 PDT 2017

Our Teddi tore her ACL nearly 5 years ago when we had to move into the rental house after our fire.  I saw her go around the corner on the hardwood floor and her leg went out from under her and 2 days later (of course on a Saturday) she was in so much pain she was shaking!  Took her in to the Emergency Vets and they told us she tore her ACL and we should see her regular doctor on  Monday to arrange surgery.  Took her in and they told us that she had indeed torn her ACL but I did a bunch of research and I hated what I was reading - Within 1 year, they will have to have the other knee done because it will go out from favoring the first one!  She would also have to be on crate rest for 8-weeks only going out to pee on a leash.  (Well, Sasha was a pup at that time and enjoyed the dog park and we went EVERY day!  I could not imagine having to leave her at home while we went out to play for that long.)  Then there was her age - she was 9-1/2 at the time and we hated to have to put her under and of course the price - $5000!!

So someone told me about their basset-mix jumping off their back deck and tearing both ACL's which was $9000 for surgery and they couldn't afford it so they got knee braces from www.woundwear.com<http://www.woundwear.com>!  We checked into it, and at the time (they said they were working on it), they did not have a brace for such short-legged dogs like bassets, doxies and corgi's (Teddi's thigh was wider than her leg was long!), so we (the vet and I) tried to wrap the knee ourselves.  She was walking like a pirate, so that didn't work.  We then tried Adaquin (spelling) injections (super glucosamine if I remember correctly).  She had a series of 5 or 6 shots once a week, and when the shots were done, she was walking normal again.  We kept her from running and jumping, and within 6 months she was running in short bursts without issue!  Around Christmas, 2015 she was a little unsteady in her back end and we started giving the girls Yucca Root Powder (1/4 tablespoon mixed in with their dinner) recommended by a friend that had used it on his shaky older basset and today she is 14-1/2 and doing great WITHOUT SURGERY!!  :)

Gdossey at te.com<mailto:Gdossey at te.com>
~Gwen, Teddi, Madden & Sasha~ (:>
Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.