[Dailydrool] Shelter Kill Rates

Marilyn Briggs via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Wed Mar 29 16:02:54 PDT 2017

We are fortunate in Utah to have not only a first rate basset rescue, but also Best Friends Animal Sanctuary, which has programs for local shelters. My local shelter, Sandy City, has about 90% of the animals rescued or adopted. Some that come in are sick or injured, so it won't be 100% ever. We did, however, just change to a no-kill shelter about 2 years ago. Before that it was very bad and they also killed feral cats. I currently help feed a feral cat colony at a pond along the Jordan River. They are all very healthy and fixed. If a new one shows that isn't, we
trap and return. Best Friends is a huge influence and appreciated here. The local basset rescue also does a great job and often takes dogs from Idaho as well.

Making Utah shelters no-kill

Best Friends’ collaboration with the state’s two largest animal shelters has proven invaluable for saving homeless pets in Utah and led to the formation of the NKUT Coalition . Both Salt Lake County Animal Services and West Valley City Animal Services have been transformed into no-kill shelters, each with a save rate of more than 93 percent in 2016, bringing a no-kill Utah well within reach.

Marilyn Briggs marbriggs at comcast.net