[Dailydrool] London Adventure: Monday pm: (another) crisis

Sally King via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Tue May 9 12:43:59 PDT 2017

Younger Clara here

Our trip to Pawliament had left us all exhausted, so we spent the afternoon snoozing, but I didn't want every hound to leave London without meeting the City's other royalty, the Pearly Kings and Queens.

The Pearlies were started in the 1800s by Henry Croft who had been brought up in a Victorian workhouse. Aged 13 he started work as a road sweeper in London and  was fascinated by the barrow boys (costermongers) who wore a row of large pearl buttons down their trouser legs, and other buttons on their cap peaks.

Henry covered his entire three-piece suit and hat with the buttons, causing quite a stir wherever he went. He then started collecting coins which he gave to the workhouse orphanage where he grew up.

Other organisations soon started to ask him to raise funds for them and his fundraising grew to such an extent, he needed more people to help. The costermongers stepped in and the Pearly Royal Family was born. There is one 'royal' family for each borough of the city (28) and the title is hereditary.

The families' clothes are all decorated with mother of pearl buttons in intricate patterns, often passed down through families, and they are still dedicated to raising money for charities.

They are not a tourist attraction, so you have to know where they are appearing, to catch them in their full Cockney glory (Cockney rhyming slang, a language exclusive to London, came from the Costers and is still used in some areas).

I learned they were appearing at a charity night in an East End pub, so we all wrapped up warmly (the nights are unseasonably cold at the moment) and traveled over to Stepney, in the East End.

The pub was warm and welcoming, and rather overfull. In one corner a Pearly King was playing the piano in a rather jaunty fashion, with other Pearlies leading the singing of traditional, London, music-hall songs.

The clientele all knew the words and were joining in with gusto to "My old man says follow the van...." The hounds may not have known the words (although some seemed to) but they picked up on the atmosphere and were some winding their way around people's legs to get a better look at the Pearlies.
Olivia stood in front of one of the queens, looking at her hat covered with the shiny buttons. “Oh look how pretty they are,” she murmured. “I think I like her hat more than that great big crown in the Tower.

“I rather fancy one of those coats” said Halfred. “It’s very smart”.

“I like their pretty skirts,” said Sasha. I think I would look very charming in one of those, and a little pearlie jacket.”

“I shall ask my slave to get me a Pearlie collar,” said Mollie Grace, it would set off my beautiful coat perfectly.

Chunky, Christmas, Rusty and Mozart were more interested in the food. “What on earth is that?” asked Mac, joining them at the servery.

“It looks like hounds’ tails to me,” said Chunky carefully.

Hooter looked over at them. “I know what this is. My dad’s talked about it. They don’t eat it anywhere other than the East End of London - it’s jellied eels!”

“Jellied what?” exclaimed Christmas There’s nothing wrong with eating eels, but in Jello?”

“I’m happy to try it,” woofed Rusty. “Me too,” agreed Halfred. “Never let it be said I’m a fussy eater.”

“Well I’m going to have some pie and mash,” said Mac. “double helpings!”.“Triple helpings,” added Tedward. “Quadruple helpings for me!” barked Jed.By the time Stonewall came to sample the delicacies, there was not much left.

“Ah oh, said Horton, arriving at the same time. “If there’s no nosh left for her Imperial  Fluffiness there’s going to be trouble.”

“And where’s my supper?” asked Paisley, coming to the front of the queue. “Have you piggie boys eaten everything?”

Heidi looked so sad when she too arrived at the bare counter, the boys decided to take action.

“Come on,” said Mozart, the kitchen’s back here. “I’m sure we can find the others something to eat - and probably something without jello!”

They all piled into the kitchen where they found the chef and his helpers preparing lots of lovely food.

“We can have a feast.” barked Mozart. “Call all the other hounds.”

Before they knew it, the staff were overwhelmed by a pack of ravenous hound, clearing every surface of anything edible - and quite a bit that wasn’t supposed to be.

Far from being pleased that his work was appreciated, the chef sat down on the floor and started crying.

“What’s the matter?” Mollie Grace asked, trying to lick his tears away. “We really liked your food.”

“But it was for the fundraising meal,” the chef sobbed. “People were going to pay lots of money to eat my very finest creations and you hounds have completely destroyed everything.

Daffodil called all the hounds together. “We must think of something,” she said, looking around.

Emma stepped forward “Do you remember that lovely hamper we had from Fortnum and Mason? Well my rellies left me an open account there. Let’s head over and see if the shop's still open.

“Better still,” said Duchess, we ATB hounds will fly over and load up. We’ll give them your name and number. It’ll be so much quicker.

“And,” said Petunia, “If there’s one thing we hounds know about, it’s fundraising.”

She led the hounds back out to where the Pearly Kings and Queens were and whispered into one of the queen’s ears.

Then the pearly queens put their hats on Pawtunia, Millie and Madden, while the kings decked out Paulie, Dexter and Chunky.

Mariah, Ipo and Samantha, wore pearly waistcoats, while Kylee Dawn, Kaitlynn Skye and Tabby took some of the kings’ neckerchiefs.

Cleo handed collection boxes to all the hounds who then went around the pub gazing into people’s eyes lovingly, until they put handfuls of coins and notes into their tins.

Just as the hounds had finished the rounds, Twinkletoes,  Bobo the Inhaler, Stuart, Qw. Poppy, Rudy, Qw. Olive and  Duchess swept in through the door carrying a large net between them loaded with the most tempting food and swept straight out to the kitchen.

“It’s lucky your relatives are wealthy” duchess whispered to Emma as they presented their spoils to the chef.

He was over the moon and before long a changed menu was being prepared.

The hounds were so cute in their pearly costumes, people were almost falling over themselves to donate.

I sidled up to the Pearly Queen “Have we atoned?” I asked anxiously. She looked down with a huge smile. “You ‘ave,” she replied. “Bring them carrots and frogs back ‘ere I’ve summit to tell ‘em.”

Carrots and frogs? Oh, of course, dogs!

I called the pack together and we all handed over our full collecting tins.

“My, aren’t you a dandy bunch,” she laughed. “But you done good and saved me bacon.”

“What bacon? Whispered Mozart. “I didn’t sniff any bacon.” “Shh!” I woofed.

“From nah on, you can awl call yerselfs pearly princes and princesses,” she beamed. “And that’s a rare honour and no mistake.”

We were quite delighted as we made our way back out into the cold and hailed a black cab to take us back to the hotel.

More later

What we saw: http://thepearlies.co.uk/

We are nearing the end of our tale. Thank you to all those who have sent money to Basset Rescue Network Great Britain. If anyone still wishes to give you can Paypal payments at brngb.org.uk  or visit BRNGB’s Just Giving page to pay by card.