[Dailydrool] Dog food and allergies

Pamela McQuade via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri Sep 1 15:36:56 PDT 2017

Boy, have we been here before. We had Alexis Grace, who had terrible ear
problems that were probably allergy related (but I did not find that out
until it was too late). When she got her wings, we adopted Holly, who
was allergic to EVERYTHING! Even rice. Now we have Cleo, who seems to
have yucky ears if she eats the wrong food.

For Holly, even putting her on grain-free foods did not work, probably
because of the rice issue. We went through a bunch of foods before we
found one that worked, but when allergy seasons came about, she was
itchy all over again. We had to use steroids to keep her inhaled allergy
under control.

Cleo has been much easier--putting her on a lamb-based, grain-free food
worked. (And miraculously Horton's tender tummy didn't mind it either.)

Every allergy can be different. It isn't a one-size-fits-all solution.
Sometimes you are dealing with more than one allergy, too. But often
there is a solution out there, if you search for it.

Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets