[Dailydrool] Food advice please for senior basset Morse

Rebecca Louisa Stanton pummorse at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 13:25:47 PDT 2018

Hello, I just wondered if anyone could give a little advice please.  Morse
is 13 and a half now.  He has been on lots of different foods in the past
including home cooking, but about a year ago went onto a raw diet which he
loved, but it was around that time also (although not entirely consistent
with) that he started to be faecally incontinent around the house bless
him.  This didn't pose any problem though as they were solid nuggets and
easy to sort.  Sometimes he was aware of it happening and other times not.
We hug and reassure him anyway, so he probably thinks its encouraged :))
However, about a week and a half ago he got a bad stomach bug with
diarrhoea, and ended up on antibiotics and the vet advised a bland diet of
chicken and rice, which he has been on for the last week, and all is well
(apart from a little constipation).  But interestingly, since being on the
chicken and rice, we have had no indoor accidents whatsoever, which is
making me think that the raw diet he was on, which was as superfood type,
of meat, vegetables, fruits etc was just too much for him and he couldn't
control his bowels, whereas with the chicken he has no problem.  So now I
have an issue of what to feed him long term and what might keep him clean
in the house too, if possible, as it sometimes upset him I think that he
couldn't control himself, he would look very crestfallen despite our
reassurance and hugs.  Not that I mind his "nuggets" at all, but it was
slightly more difficult when he had diarrhoea!!  I am guessing chicken and
rice wouldn't be okay long term, or would it be okay supplemented with
other foods?  Morse on the whole isn't great with general "dog food" really
any more and finds kibble difficult with his teeth - his teeth are fine,
but just as an elderly lad he finds the crunching a bit much.  And he is
notoriously bad with vegetables, managing to fish them out however I
disguise them and ping them across the room in disgust. With the raw diet
they were mixed in so he didnt notice them.  Can anyone recommend a good
diet for a senior?
Thank you
Becky, Morse and Pumbaa ATB
pummorse at gmail.com