[Dailydrool] Thyroid medication

Pamela McQuade plmcquade at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 03:49:32 PDT 2018

Karen:
I do not know about f this medication, but doctors sometimes use a
medication for a  problem that is not listed in the patient and physician
information. This is called, if I remember correctly, off-label use. It may
be that the medication is effective for treatments the pharma company has
not studied. As the drug is used, doctors recognize that it works on a
complaint the company has not tested it for. Sort of like, you go to the
doctor for a headache, and the medication he gives you just happens to work
wonderfully on your arthritis too (this is a totally imaginary comparison,
but you get the idea).  So now you are taking a drug that helps both, and
eventually the docs realize that they can prescribe it for arthritis too.

Doctors do this all the time for humans, too. Eventually the company may
get around to studying the use, or in this case if they are not involved in
veterinary medicine, it may just remain off-label, and vets may make use of
it.

Talk to your vet and see if that's how she is using the drug.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets